Definition: Sales Promotion is the marketing actions excluding personal selling, advertising and promotion that provoke customer buying and dealer efficiencies like display shows, written description, trials and distinct non-current selling exercise not in the normal routine.
Sales promotion is amidst the three pillars of the promotional mix. The alternative two pillars are personal selling and advertising. It is the associating link amidst personal selling and advertising, and a significant and specific function of marketing.
It involves coupons, discount deals, contests, prizes, rebates and other procedures outlined to obtain a quick response. It only affects the timing of purchase instead of the decision to purchase.
Content: Sales Promotion
Methods of Sales Promotion
Incentives used to stimulate purchasing such as coupons, product placements, and buyer programs are some of the methods we use in sales promotion to promote our products and services and encourage purchasing, which are as follows:
- Coupons: 500 ₹ off, buy one get one free, save ₹ 100 on purchase of 500 they are used frequently to attract customers to buy our products.
- Premiums: These low-cost items were given to customers at a discount or for free to build loyalty and fascinate customers. Logo pens, keychains and coffee mugs are typical examples of it.
- Incentives: Incentives builds the customer’s excitement. Marketers use contests, sweepstakes and rebates to do this.
- Product samples: Providing samples of your product with other famous products also increase the sales of your products.
- Sponsorship: This is what in which a company pays a fee to put their name and logo on a physical site.
- Product placement: We have seen in many realities shows a mug having a logo of particular drink name is kept in front of celebrities, that is a product placement method of sales promotion and this method brings recognition for their brand.
- Loyalty programs: It is also known as buyer programs; we award customers for their purchases.
- Point- of- Purchase displays: We see almost everywhere particular corner are made displaying the products of a specific brand, they are usually placed in high traffic areas and encourages impulse buying.
Nature of Sales Promotion
Sales Promotion actions are abstract and often non-recurring. They are assisted to ultimate to customers, industrial users, and intermediaries and acts as a bridge amidst advertising and personal selling and enhance and integrate efforts in these two sectors.
The significance of sales promotion has raised enormously, in current times thousands of rupees are spent on deciding the most efficient methods and allures for striking the concern of the prospects towards the vendor’s space of business.
Dynamic sales promotion programs abolish customer’s dissatisfaction about specific commodities of a particular producer. However, advertising media arrive at a customer can soon be suppressed, sales promotional equipment of reminding or inspire the consumer to make a purchase immediately on the spot.
The following are the objectives of the sales promotion:
- To announce new products
Encourage customers to buy a new product, complimentary samples may be dispersed, or money and stock allowance can be awarded to business reserve and sell the product.
- To fascinate new consumers
New consumers can be fascinated by the allocation release of complimentary samples bonus, contests and the same products.
- To encourage existing consumers to purchase more
Existing consumers can be encouraged to purchase more by knowing more about a commodity; it’s elements and uses.
- To help the company stay competitive
Sales promotion can be initiated to meet competitions amidst companies.
- To raise sales in the off-season
Buyers can be inspired to use the goods created in the off-season by displaying them the variations of uses of the products.
- To raise the stock of the business buyer
It has the following advantages:
- Produces immediate sales
Because of these sales’ promotion measures, people get very excited to buy more. It generates excitement, and customer again wants to purchase the product.
- Prevents competitor entry or promotions
Any competitors who are trying to enter in the market and gain your market share cannot do so when you go ahead into sales promotion because if they are already in an established darn, they are doing very well. On top of that if you come up with your offers in sales promotion measures then, the competitors cannot do anything in this matter.
- Measurable results can be produced
Measurable results can be produced because it is a short-term thing, so, how many sales did it generate during your sales promotion period can be easily measured.
- Helps to gain distribution channel support
A distribution channel is nothing but, the people involved in distributing your product. So, it could be a dealer, retailer, etc. Thus; you get to put your product by using sales promotion tools as well. If you give discounts or deals to your dealers, then they help you to sell your product, and this could benefit and increase your sales.
- Easy to design and implement
In case of advertising, there are so many costs involved, so many competitors involved, so it becomes challenging to decide as to what kind of advertisement should you come up with and how should it be. Out in case of sales promotion, it is relatively easier to design and implement your activities; you can calculate your costs and its effects on the sales accordingly.
It has the following disadvantages:
- It is for a short-term.
- Excessive use can erode brand equity.
- It has led to clutter.
- It attracts only price switches.
- Forward buying.
- It can be abused by traders as well as consumers.
Sales Promotion is the use of stimulus by marketers to encourage defined consumer groups to carry out particular activities over time, its role has dramatically changed from that of the minor element of the promotion mix to a significant aspect of the promotion mix.